Friday 26 July 2013

WEEDS IN THE WHEAT

PRAYER MOMENT
Saturday 27 July 2013
WEEDS IN THE WHEAT
Pause. Pause to enter into  the silence within.
Reading. “While everyone was asleep his enemy came and sowed darnel all among the wheat.” (Matt 13:24-30)
Reflection. A fundamentalist is someone who wants everything neat. There is no room for grey areas. In Egypt today there are people like that while there are others who say we want an open society where all will be included: it will be messy but it will be free. God clearly prefers messiness. Caravaggio (1571-1610) painted some of the most beautiful pictures ever. But he also murdered someone. One of the last books of the renowned Cardinal Basil Hume was entitled Basil in Blunderland. Frankly we all blunder along. We make mistakes every day and yet we also get lots of things right.

Prayer. Lord, help me to be patient with myself. When I fail it is not a disaster. You have a way of making our failures fruitful for your purposes. My impatience with my failures is a sort of pride. Teach me the gentleness to find you in everything. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment