Friday 5 July 2013

NEW WINE, FRESH SKINS

PRAYER MOMENT

Saturday 6 July 2013

NEW WINE, FRESH SKINS

Pause. Give thanks to the Lord and be still.

Reading. “They put new wine into fresh skins and both are preserved” (Matt 9:14-17)

Reflection. Can I not just go on as I have been doing up to now? Why do I have to change? Such questions face all of us at one time or another. Yet we sense within us that to change is to grow and to change often, as Cardinal New man said, is to welcome the divine. The Jews liked listening to Jesus but did not like the cost his words would bring into their lives. But Jesus never compromised. He came to announce the new reign of his Father and this meant people had to change. Otherwise they would shrivel up in vapid decadence.

Prayer. Lord, source of life and goal of all my desires, give me the insight to see where you call me to grow and give me the courage to take steps to answer your call despite the cost. Help the people of Egypt through the painful period they now face. Give them wisdom courage and peaceful hearts. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment