Monday 15 May 2017

MY PEACE I GIVE YOU

PRAYER PAUSE        


Tuesday, 16 May 2017


MY PEACE I GIVE YOU


Pause. Enter into the stillness of God within.


Reading: “My own peace I give you, a peace the world cannot give.” (John 14:27-31).  



Reflection. Here is one more word from th e risen Lord. “My peace” is not just an absence of quarrels. It is not just toleration, nor security, a good job, enough to live on and so forth. It is all these but it is far more. It is a quality of deep receiving of life as it is, and of myself as I am; it is accepting the truth of life of myself, of others and of the God who “ever comes” towards us, even if, like the disciples in the resurrection stories, we do not recognise him. When Pedro Arrupe was released, on a cold December morning in 1941 from a month of solitary confinement in a Japanese jail, he was beaming and went around, thanking each of the guards in turn. They were bemused. They had no idea what he was on about. But he had just lived an intense 30 days experiencing the peace “the world cannot give.”


Prayer. Lord, give us this peace which the world cannot give. Amen.






























No comments:

Post a Comment