Monday 2 March 2015

SEARCH FOR JUSTICE

PRAYER MOMENT 


Tuesday 3 March 2015


SEARCH FOR JUSTICE


Pause. Enter into the stillness of God within.


Reading: “Cease to do evil. Learn to do good, search for justice, help the oppressed, be just to the orphan, plead for the widow.” (Isaiah 1:10 …20)


Reflection. The Lenten tripod – fasting, prayer and giving alms – call us to live rather than just exist. The three have their literal meanings, what the words mean, but they also signify three movements: inwards, stillness and outwards. ‘Fasting’ is any activity reflecting on my life and seeing where I have to cut back; food maybe, but also gossiping, holding grudges or wasting time. Prayer is that stillness where I come as totally as I can before God and hear his Spirit in my heart. And giving alms is that outward movement towards others: giving money maybe, but also stretching out to those in pain of body (the sick) or the spirit (the lonely, the troubled, the unwelcomed). Even in Isaiah’s time ‘doing good’ primarily meant ‘seeking justice,’ doing my inner work so that I become a person for others.

        
Prayer. God, our Lord, help us the seek you within so that we may find the courage and imagination to move out to our brothers and sisters with compassion and love. Amen.  












No comments:

Post a Comment