Wednesday 7 August 2013

YOU ARE PETER

PRAYER MOMENT

Thursday 8 August 2013

YOU ARE PETER

Pause. Enter deep into your own heart.

Reading. “You are Peter. … You are an obstacle in my path.” (Matt 16:13-23)

Reflection. A high point and a low point in Peter’s career come painfully close together. His answer to Jesus’ question, “whom do you say I am,” is full and correct. You are Jesus of Nazareth and you are also the Messiah we have longed for, and what is more you are the “Son of the living God.” Jesus calls Peter a “rock” in response and goes on to outline how the Messiah would achieve his goal. At this point he loses Peter who spontaneously rejects the programme proposed, “to go to Jerusalem and suffer grievously.” Jesus turns on him and calls him an “obstacle,” a road block. The whole passage calls us to a wholesome response to Jesus: a deep faith in his divine humanity and a willingness to accept the cross as the only way to reach our goal.


Prayer. God, our Father, I am so like Peter. I say “I believe” but when trials and sorrows come I quickly rebel. I find it so difficult to accept “the road to Jerusalem.” Teach me to have a heart like yours  that is constantly tuned to the prayer, “Thy will be done.” Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment