Sunday 18 August 2013

SELL WHAT YOU OWN

PRAYER MOMENT


Monday 19 August 2013


SELL WHAT YOU OWN


Pause. Enter into your own stillness.


Reading. “If you wish to be perfect go sell what you own and give the money to the poor … then come, follow me.” (Matt 19:16-22)


Reflection. Some people have taken these words literally, like Anthony of Egypt, and done just what Jesus says. And others who join religious congregations forego the chance of making money to give. But the words have a message for all as they point to the basic call of the gospel and indeed of life itself, to give in order to find: to let go of the false self we cling to in order to find the true self. Ruth Burrows says that despite all our expressed desires to do the will of God and surrender to him we “keep a deathly hold on ourselves.” In other words when the chips are down we seek our own interests first.


Prayer. Lord Jesus, teach me what it is to let go of myself and give myself to you as you did constantly in your prayer to the Father. I know I always say, “your will be done,” but when suffering comes I backtrack a bit. Help me to do what I say. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment