Thursday 21 February 2019

IF ANYONE WANTS


22 February 2019, St Peter


‘IF ANYONE WANTS’ (Mark 8:34-9:1)


‘If anyone wants to be a follower of mine, let them renounce their own will and take up their cross and follow me’.  There you have it: the heart of the Christian life.  What this means for me is evident at each moment of my life if I can become sensitive to what the Spirit is calling me to.  I spontaneously react to people and events and to my own moods. And maybe I do well.  But sometimes I have to ‘educate’ my spontaneous reactions so that they are in line with this call to ‘renounce’ myself.  This is the hard part! Today is one of the feasts of St Peter.  The gospels give us quite a lot of information about his journey from wild impulses to a deep following of Jesus.  We also want to pray for his successor Francis who, with the bishops in Rome, are addressing the Church’s failure to act transparently and justly in the matter of the abuse of people.  


No comments:

Post a Comment