Sunday 17 February 2019

CAIN WAS VERY ANGRY


18 February 2019


‘CAIN WAS VERY ANGRY. (Genesis 4:1-15)


But what did he do with his anger?  Did he ask himself, ‘Why am I angry?  What actually has my brother Abel done to arouse my anger? We both made our offerings.  His was accepted.  Mine wasn’t.  Is that his fault? When I think about it I realise I am just annoyed that I have been found out.  My offering was half-hearted and calculated and it was not welcomed.  His was made in simplicity and singlemindedness. And his was welcomed.  Why can I not just learn the lesson from this and do better next time?  Ah, no!  It is too hard.  I will take my revenge on him.  I will prove my worth.  I will show him who is better.  I will kill him.’ We can see it all happening but then we hear of God’s reaction.  He is full of mercy towards Cain and promises to protect him and give him room to change his way of thinking.


No comments:

Post a Comment