Friday 25 May 2018

TO SUCH AS THESE


PRAYER PAUSE


Saturday 26 May 2018, St Philip Neri


TO SUCH AS THESE


Enter into the stillness of God within.


Reading:  “Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.” (Mark 10:13-16)



Reflection. What is Jesus saying here?  I often go to the lake near our house and I meet children on the way.  My ability with the language does not allow me to have much of a conversation but they share their smiles, their wonder, their openness and their hopes – not so much in words as by their general welcome. I would love to satisfy them that they have everything they long for. And I begin to see something of what Jesus means.  He wants us to have that openness and wonder, that desire to live.  Adults, alas, quickly “settle down” in their views and their ways.  Their sense of wonder fades as they struggle with the realities of life.  I suppose what Jesus means is that we should try to retain something of that openness to life; to wonder, to be surprised and not quickly set comfortable goals for ourselves.    


Prayer. Lord, help us to notice; be open to the unexpected, the surprises you spring in us. Amen 




































No comments:

Post a Comment