Monday 18 January 2016

THE SABBATH WAS MADE FOR MAN

PRAYER MOMENT


Tuesday 19 January 2016


THE SABBATH WAS MADE FOR MAN


Pause. Enter into the stillness of God within.


Reading: “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath; so the Son of Man is master even of the Sabbath.” (Mark 2:23-28)


Reflection. I cannot remember where I came across this quotation, I think from a Jewish Rabbi, but it ran something like this: “If you know what you are doing when you break the law, blessed are you! But if you are just breaking it for your own convenience, you are cursed.” The meaning is clear enough: law is there to help us. When I believe in my heart that it does not apply here – and there is no harm that will be done to any person - I can “break” the law. This is the freedom Paul hammers on in his letters and Jesus teaches us in this gospel. We really are called to be free in a freedom that is centred in the Spirit and at the service of others.

Prayer. Lord, teach us the wisdom to know how to live the freedom you won for us. Amen.





















No comments:

Post a Comment