Sunday 19 January 2014

NEW WINE, FRESH SKINS!

PRAYER MOMENT  


Monday 20 January 2014


 NEW WINE, FRESH SKINS!


Pause. Be in the presence of God.


Reading. “Nobody puts new wine into old wine skins; if he does, the wine will burst the wineskins, and wine is lost and the skins too. No! New wine, fresh skins!” (Mark 2:18-22)  



Reflection. How much we long for continuity! For what is familiar! Then we know where we are. We are disturbed and find ourselves off-balance when new things come. So it was in the time of Jesus. He disturbed people. Even his closest followers had a hard time understanding the “new wine”. So it is today. People feel threatened by fresh ideas, new ways of doing things. For example, the words and ways of the Bishop of Rome are upsetting some people who are used to the old. So it is in society, in politics, in culture. We are invited to change. We have to sift, of course; not everything new is good. But we are called to change.


Prayer. Lord, teach me to be open to what comes to me; to welcome what I sense is good even if it disturbs me and will make me change my ways. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment