Friday 24 January 2014

A BRIGHT LIGHT

PRAYER MOMENT  


Saturday 25 January 2014


 A BRIGHT LIGHT


Pause. Be in the presence of God on the way to Damascus.


Reading. “I was nearly at Damascus when about midday a bright light from heaven suddenly shone around me.” (Acts 22:3-16)  


Reflection. The conversion of St Paul, which we celebrate today, is yet another manifestation of the Epiphany. This time Jesus shows himself to a zealot for the Jewish law who was prepared to torture and kill those who became Christians. He hears the voice, “why are you persecuting me?” The voice does not say, why are you persecuting my church or my people? The message is clear that “when you do it to one of these, the least of my brothers, you do it to me.” Jesus is the one who gives life to his people. You cannot separate him from his people. Paul was later to be overwhelmed by that realisation: “I am alive; yet it is no longer I but Christ living in me.” (Gal 2:20)


Prayer. We thank you, Lord, for the gift of Paul to your church in her formative years. Help us too to have that sense of your “living in us and we in you” so that we have courage to face the challenges we meet.  Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment