Wednesday 29 January 2014

MORE BESIDES

PRAYER MOMENT  


Thursday 30 January 2014


MORE BESIDES


Pause. Be still in the presence of Jesus at the lakeside with a large crowd gathered round.


Reading. “The amount you measure out is the amount you will be given – and more besides.” (Mark 4:21-25)  


Reflection. Today we have two sayings of Jesus about openness and generosity. Generosity means giving without calculating. “To the one who asks for your shirt give your coat as well..  Give to anyone who asks you” (Matt 5:40). We know our tendency to calculate: if I give what will I get in return? The gospel message is to give without even thinking about “returns” because the gospel is opening up a new horizon: God’s reign is breaking in on the world and to be part of God’s own generosity is sufficient reward in itself. I leave any idea of “returns” to him. All I know is that the more I give, the more I can “touch the hem of his garment” (Mark 5:28) and that is enough.    


Prayer. Lord, teach us to be generous and to give without counting the cost, just as you did. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment