Saturday 24 October 2015

‘I WILL BRING THEM BACK’

‘I WILL BRING THEM BACK’
People have always migrated from the beginning of history. It is only in modern times we have felt the need for visas. Europeans today feel threatened by the sheer numbers of immigrants. They call it a crisis, that is, a moment of decision. Do we block their entry? But then what do we do next? Build walls? Fences? Send them back? But how? Or do we welcome them? But then how do we welcome so many? It will strain our housing, our schooling, our health services. Our voters may react and throw us out of government? Do we contribute to improving conditions where they come from? Building peace in their countries?
The crisis draws out the worst in people. “Backlashes.” Attacks on immigrants’ homes have multiplied in Germany. But the crisis also brings out the best in people. Germany, in particular, has positively welcomed the migrants. They have said in effect, “we don’t know how we will manage, but come anyway!” I find this one of the bright points in this whole drama. The German Chancellor has risen above political calculations in a generous act of humanity. She doesn’t, for a change, count the consequences.
I find this profoundly moving in a world where politicians are forever opting for safe solutions. It is a witness to the vision that we find in the Hebrew scriptures and the gospel. “I will gather them from the far ends of the earth” (Jeremiah 31:8) is a promise for all people and we see in the gospel Jesus doing it one person at a time. The public life and journeys of Jesus climax in the healing of one man who cries out to him and, hearing his call, throws away his cloak (his security) and “follows him along the road” (Mark 10:52).
Europe, America and Australia – all developed areas of the world - have people knocking on their doors. Their response is mixed. Their leaders calculate: “what will our people tolerate?” We see all this “out there.” But what do I do in my own small world. Only yesterday a boy came to me for help and I had good reasons for refusing him. I calculated. Maybe I was right? Maybe not! But I did not feel good about it. And so the dilemma continues. People are “migrating” into my “space” all the time. And I am not very good at opening my door.
25 October 2015                   Sunday 30 B

Jeremiah 31:7-9                    Hebrews 5:1-6                                     Mark 10: 46-52         

No comments:

Post a Comment