Wednesday 30 October 2013

TELL THAT FOX

PRAYER MOMENT


Thursday, 31 October 2013


TELL THAT FOX


Pause.  Be still in the presence of God.


Reading. “Leave this place because Herod means to kill you.” Jesus replied, “tell that fox … that today and tomorrow I must go on … and attain my end.” (Luke 13: 31-35)


Reflection. Where does moral courage come from? It is the courage that springs from a clear vision of what I want to do, or better, what I find myself called to do. It does not arise purely out of my own thoughts and desires; it also comes from a force “burning within me” (Jer 20: 9) which propels me forward without fear. You sense this in Jesus as he continues his journey to Jerusalem well aware of what would happen there. You also see it in Paul when he says, “Nothing can come  between us and the love of Christ, even if we are troubled or worried, or being persecuted, or lacking food or clothed, or being threatened or even attacked” (Rom 8: 31-9). This quality, this courage, is at the heart of what it is to be a Christian – or indeed to be a fully human being.    


Prayer. Lord Jesus, you know how easily I avoid the challenges that come and seek the safer way. Teach me to take the “path less travelled” and reach out to what is best within me. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment