Wednesday 23 October 2013

FIRE ON THE EARTH

PRAYER MOMENT


Thursday 24 October 2013


FIRE ON THE EARTH


Pause.  Enter the quietness within you.


Reading. “I have come to bring fire to the earth and how I wish it were blazing already… Do you suppose I have come to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.” (Luke 12: 49-53)


Reflection. When Aloysius Gonzaga said he wanted to become a Jesuit his father was furious and threatened to assault him. And it has often been like that when someone responds to their conscience but it is not well received by those closest to them. Jesus promised peace to those who welcomed the gospel but it was the peace that came after struggle with the call of that same gospel. It is not the facile peace of avoiding issues and thinking only of my own concerns and comfort. Jesus calls us to be engaged in the issues of our time and to do it like a raging fire that burns up all the petty compromises we live each day. He caused a stir where ever he went and Pope Francis told the youth on the beaches of Rio to do the same.    


Prayer. Lord, there is something within me that resists getting involved. I am afraid of getting hurt. Teach me to kindle fires where I can so that they may spread and consume the earth with you message of peace and love. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment