Tuesday 24 September 2013

NOTHING FOR THE JOURNEY

PRAYER MOMENT


Wednesday 25 September 2013


NOTHING FOR THE JOURNEY


Pause.  Be still. You are in the presence of God.


Reading. “He sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal. He said to them, ‘Take nothing for the journey’.” (Luke 9:1-6)


Reflection. When Jesus begins to train his disciples in proclaiming the mission he immediately adds instructions on methods. He says, “Take nothing with you, neither staff, nor haversack …” This seems crazy. Anyone going on a mission should be prepared and carry supplies. The early Jesuit missionaries to Zimbabwe (1879) came with loaded ox-wagons.  It seems Jesus was laying down markers. He is saying this is not your mission: It is God’s mission. Don’t ever allow it to slip into being a personal thing, a way of life for me, a job to keep my family going. This is God’s business and don’t forget it. So don’t rely on your own resources and powers. You have to use them, yes, but radically discover that it is “not I who live, but Christ who lives in me”(Gal 2:30). 



Prayer. Lord Jesus, teach me that basic truth that you live in me and I live in you. Do not let me drift along thinking I am just doing my job. Help me to risk my life in exploring the boundaries and frontiers, those places and situations where I am not comfortable and I have nothing to rely on except you. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment