Sunday 1 September 2013

FULFILLED TODAY

PRAYER MOMENT

Monday 2 September 2013

FULFILLED TODAY

Reading. “This text is being fulfilled today even as you listen.” (Luke 4:16-30)

Reflection. Today we start our annual readings from Luke’s synopsis of the public life of Jesus. He begins with this word “today” in his home town and announces that the prophecies of Isaiah – good news to the poor, liberty to captives, new sight for the blind, relief for the oppressed and a time of favour for all – are to be fulfilled “today.” It is a theme rooted in the psalms – “O that today you would listen to his voice” (Ps. 95) – and reminds us that that is all we have. We do not have yesterday, we do not have tomorrow. We just have today and indeed just this very moment – now! And this is the moment God is acting in my life and in the world, bringing good news, freedom, new sight, relief and favour – if I can but recognise his presence.

Prayer. Lord, teach me to recognise your presence in my life today where you gently “draw” me (John 6:44) to yourself through the people and events of my day. Give me “new sight” to see you in my life today. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment