Wednesday 22 May 2013

Receiving the gift


Thursday, 23 May 2013

RECEIVING THE GIFT

Pause. Be still and wait for God..

Reading.         In vain is your earlier rising,
your going later to rest,
you who toil for the bread you eat:
when he pours gifts on his beloved while they slumber. (Psalm 127)


Reflection. The songs of ancient Israel are timeless. Here the psalmist says, work hard but do not think that your efforts alone will bring you success. Learn too to be still in the midst of your activity and receive what God is offering. They are free gifts independent of all your striving.

Prayer. Lord, help me to work as though everything depends on me, but let my heart tell me that in truth it is you who are at work in me and in others. After I have done all that I can, teach me to welcome the outcome whatever it may be. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment