Thursday 21 June 2018

WHERE YOUR TREASURE IS


PRAYER PAUSE


Friday 22 June 2018, Sts John Fisher and Thomas More


WHERE YOUR TREASURE IS


Enter into the stillness of God within.


Reading:  “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” (Matthew 6:19-23)



Reflection. Today we have two sayings of Jesus: this one and the one about the lamp of the body.  They both speak of the basic orientation of my life which he calls my treasure. This is what I operate out of.  It provides me with my spontaneous reactions.  It is where my heart is. We celebrate Thomas More today, the English prime minister whose “teasure” was his own conscience.  For most of his contemporaries, faced with the dilemma created by King Henry’s demands, their “treasure” was a quiet life and they went along with the king to secure this.  But More valued a quiet conscience above a quiet life and was prepared to take the consequence, which in his and Fisher’s case led to the scaffold.



Prayer. Lord, help us listen to our deepest self, the desires of our heart that give us true peace and joy. Amen 





































No comments:

Post a Comment