Thursday 5 October 2017

WE HAVE SINNED

PRAYER PAUSE  


Friday 6 October 2017, Bruno (died 1101)


WE HAVE SINNED


Pause. Enter into the stillness of God within.


Reading: “To us the look of shame we wear today … we have sinned… and not listened to the voice of the Lord.” (Baruch 1:15-22)



Reflection. I asked Emmanuel which team he supported. “The loser,” was his answer! He enjoyed working out why they lost. The prophets after the exile were preoccupied in explaining why disaster had fallen on Israel. “What did we do wrong?” Every choice has consequences: too much sugar! Too little exercise! We choose our own future by the habits we adopt. A habit, like a habitat, is where I live. I suppose my life is the sum of my habits! If that sum adds up well I will have a good life. If not, the opposite. On the feast of St Bruno, who considered the religious life of his time did not allow enough space for prayer, one habit we can choose is that of prayer. A sustained habit of silent prayer would see us go a long way.   


Prayer. Lord, help us to develop good habits that will lead us to you and open us to one another. Amen.
































No comments:

Post a Comment