Saturday 3 September 2016

I’M REAL

I’M REAL
A child who had an intellectual disability accompanied her mother to the market. When the mother had made her purchases the stall keeper asked the child, “and what would you like?” The mother quickly answered, “she’d like an apple.” The stall keeper was not satisfied and addressed the little girl again, “what would you like?” The mother again answered for her, “an apple.” The store keeper asked the child a third time, “what would YOU like?” The little girl’s eyes opened wide in wonder and she said to her mother, “She thinks I’m real!”
There was a time when “huge crowds” followed Jesus. But far from feeling satisfied that he had a following Jesus turned on them and said do you know what you are doing? If you really want to follow me you must “hate your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters and even your own life.” It is not recorded what their response was but it is easy to guess. They had no idea what he was talking about. They had no idea what the kingdom of God really meant. They had no idea what the cost to them would be.
We are told that the original word, translated as ‘hate’, did not have the harsh meaning we attach to the word. Jesus’ meaning was that a disciple must put the demands of the kingdom before everything else – even their closest relations, even their own life. Jesus said to Peter one time, “Do you love me more than these?” And he too asked the question three times. It is not so much a matter of hating as of preferring. What do you put first? This is a ‘real’ question.
In family situations of misunderstanding or conflict, what comes first? In business dealings, in medical decisions, in treating the poor and the vulnerable, what comes first? Is it my self-interest and convenience or the demands of truth and justice? These are abstract questions but it is not hard for me to think of instances where I “prefer” my own convenience and comfort. The little girl sensed herself as being real. Becoming a mature Christian is to become real.
It is a struggle to become the individual I am called to be. It is much easier to follow others. What do they do? What do they say about this situation? How is our group voting in this election? The question ends up: how do I find my place in the group? Whereas the real question is; how do I become an individual, the unique “real” person God created me to be? Perhaps only then will I make a difference.   
September 4, 2016                  Sunday 23 C

Wisdom 9:13-18                     Philemon 9-17                        Luke 14:25-33

No comments:

Post a Comment