Tuesday 22 September 2015

I AM ASHAMED

PRAYER MOMENT  


Wednesday 23 September 2015


I AM ASHAMED


Pause. Enter into the stillness of God within.


Reading: “My God, I am ashamed; I blush to lift my face to you, my God. For our crimes have increased …” (Ezra 9:5-9)


Reflection. After the exile the Jews returned to Jerusalem in joy. But it was a joy laced with deep sorrow for all that had happened and a realisation of their responsibility for the catastrophe. We ponder their sorrow. Was it centred on themselves and the loss of all they had – “our kings were given into captivity and shame.” Or did it arise from a realisation that they had broken a relationship with God?  It is our question too. For our sorrow can often be a form of self-pity rather than on a broken relationship. In other words sorrow can be focused on ourselves rather than another or on God.


Prayer. Lord, teach us perfect sorrow and not the sort that has its focus on us. Amen.




















No comments:

Post a Comment