Thursday 17 July 2014

BUT HE SAID TO THEM

PRAYER MOMENT
An invitation to take a few minutes to ponder the excerpt below from the readings of today and listen to what the Spirit of Jesus is saying to me.             

Friday 18 July 2014


BUT HE SAID TO THEM


Pause. Be in the presence of God.


Reading: “Look, your disciples are doing something that is forbidden on the Sabbath.” But he said to them, “Have you not read …?” (Matt 12:1-8)


Reflection. We can see three steps in this story of the hungry disciples picking ears of corn on the Sabbath. First, the Pharisees see a petty incident as a chance to control Jesus and bring him within their power. Second, Jesus challenges their attitude and invites them to step into the wider picture. And third, we are left with a sense that they reject the invitation and retreat into their “comfort zone.” The question is posed to us every day: we meet an incident and we have a choice. I can take the safe option which reinforces my usual way of doing things and leaves me in my comfort. Or I can stop and think for a second: is this a moment where I can do something different and rise above my usual “safe” response to challenges?


Prayer. Lord, we ask for courage to face the challenges that come our way. Teach us to respond well to small things so that one day we will come to overcome big ones. Amen.
David Harold-Barry SJ










No comments:

Post a Comment