Friday 6 June 2014

STAY TILL I COME

PRAYER MOMENT                          


Saturday 7 June 2014


STAY TILL I COME


Pause. Be presence with Jesus and Peter at the lakeside.


Reading: “If I want him to stay behind until I come, what does it matter to you? You are to follow me.” (John 21:20-25)


Reflection. We come, finally, to the closing verses of the Acts and of John. Both speak of waiting for the end; Paul in Rome and John wherever he was. So we reach the end of Easter time with Ascension and Pentecost. And we too are left waiting. We can think of the old people we know who spend much of their time waiting. I have an old cousin who wrote to me as she turned 90, “I am crumbling away peacefully and happily.” For most of us in our active years “waiting” is more like the waiters in hotels and restaurants who pay attention to what is happening around them and are ever ready to respond to the demands of the moment. One of the psalms speaks of our life as like a handmaid with her eyes on her mistress, attentive to her call. So our “waiting” today is filled with active attention to the needs of the world around us.


Prayer. Lord, make us attentive and alert to every movement within us and outside, ever intent on responding to your call. Amen.
David Harold-Barry SJ








No comments:

Post a Comment