Sunday 15 November 2015

MEETING PEOPLE

MEETING PEOPLE
The story is told of a generous man who worked among the down and outs in Sydney. There was a prostitute he had tried to help and now she was dying. He cradled her in his arms to give her comfort but her dying words startled him, “You have always tried to change me, but you have never met me.” You have always tried to improve me, but you have never accepted me as I am.
This dying prostitute spoke words that every peacemaker on the planet would do well to heed. If you want to make progress, first build relationships. But you don’t build relationships in order to make progress; you build relationships with no hidden agenda other than a desire to “meet” the other person. What happens after that no one yet knows, but you have a great hope that the relationship will lead somewhere.
The world is charged with unresolved problems and undeveloped relationships. Each day we taste the incompleteness of things. As a Christian, I find it hard to understand people – often very intelligent people – who say that death is the end of everything. Sorry, I’m not going to solve my problem. That’s it! Others may have a go at other problems, but for me and my problems it’s, “Cut!” It’s over! And, by implication, others will probably fail too. In fact, the whole world will fail! How does one live with that outlook? Maybe I am oversimplifying but it does seem some think that way.
The mystics of the fourteenth century were every much as aware as we are of the tawdriness of our world. Yet they were able to say, “All will be well, and all manner of thing will be well.” They had an insight into God’s plan to bring all things to completion, partly here, perfectly there. The prostitute will finally “meet” someone who accepts her just as she is.
Towards the end of each year bible readings are chosen to reflect the “end times.” “At that time Michael will stand up” (Daniel 12). “They will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory” (Mark 13). The time will come when the present tensions, wars, migrations, famines and droughts will be resolved. How? It is unclear to us now. But it will happen. The question is, am I doing all I can now to bring that day closer – even if my efforts seem paltry? Am I learning to meet people - with no hidden agenda?  
15 November 2015                 Sunday 33 B

Daniel 12:1-3                          Hebrews 10: 11…18               Mark 13:24-32

No comments:

Post a Comment