Sunday 17 August 2014

A MAN OF GREAT WEALTH

PRAYER MOMENT                      


Monday 18 August 2014


A MAN OF GREAT WEALTH


Pause. Be still in God’s presence.


Reading: “When the young man heard these words he went away sad for he was a man of great wealth.” (Matt 19:16-22)


Reflection. We were no sooner in the novitiate when the novice director rolled out this passage by way of helping us understand what we had chosen. A young man wanted to be a follower of Jesus but he just could not give up his wealth. Few of us had anything resembling wealth so it all sounded a bit unreal. Yet two things can be said. The passage applies to anyone who wants to follow Jesus - not just priests and religious. And also there are types of “wealth” which have nothing to do with money. I can construct a world for myself which has “walls” and “security guards.” I can develop ways of managing my life which do not threaten my comfort and sense of order. In a word, I can design a life for myself where I am in charge. What Jesus asks is that I do not hold on to my security in the sense that I do not turn away from the challenges that come to disturb my life and threaten to break down the walls I have built. I allow myself to answer unwelcome knocks on the door of my heart.  
      

Prayer. Lord Jesus, teach us to open our hearts  and “give away” all that hinders us from hearing what your are saying to us each day.  Amen
David Harold-Barry SJ










No comments:

Post a Comment