Tuesday 13 May 2014

I CALL YOU FRIEND

PRAYER MOMENT             


Wednesday, 14 May 2014, St Matthias


I CALL YOU FRIENDS


Pause. Be present at the last supper of Jesus and his disciples.


Reading: “I shall not call you servants anymore, because a servant does not know his master’s business; I call you friends because I have made know to you everything.” (John 15:9-17)


Reflection. Matthias makes one appearance (Acts 1:15-26) and then disappears. His role is to make up “the twelve” again after Judas fell out. His qualification was that he was “someone who has been with us.” The gospel speaks of the intimacy of this relationship. At the last supper Jesus expresses this in terms of “making known to you everything I have learnt from my Father.” This is an astonishing saying. The first twelve chapters of John describe Jesus’ relationship with “the Jews” who never get far in understanding him or his message. In the remaining chapters the focus shifts to his immediate disciples whom he calls “friends.” That focus remains today. There are the many who pay scant attention, and there are the few who are called to “know everything” and to stand for the many.

     
Prayer. Lord, you call us friends. But that gives us the task of witnessing to you among the many we live among. Help us to fulfil tis task. Amen.
David Harold-Barry SJ








No comments:

Post a Comment