Thursday 10 April 2014

I AM

PRAYER MOMENT          


Thursday 10 April 2014


I AM


Pause. Be still in the presence of God


Reading: “I tell you most solemnly, before Abraham ever was, I am.” (John 8:51-59)


Reflection. The climax of the confrontation of Jesus with the Jews is also the climax of the revelation of who he is. In John’s gospel this becomes more explicit than in the other three. The words ‘I am’ were used by God in the desert to tell Moses his name: Yahweh, “I am who I am” (Exod. 3:14). These words are now used by John in his gospels several times: to the woman of Samaria, “I, who am speaking to you, I am he,” to the Jews in chapter six “ I am the bread of life” and to Martha before raising Lazarus, “I am the resurrection.” Here is another instance, “Before Abraham ever was I am.” So the climax of his life is also the climax of the revelation of who he is: God among us. His hearers are stuck in their “this world” way of thinking – “you are not fifty yet and you have seen Abraham!” Jesus is giving them one last chance to open their minds.   
  

Prayer. Lord, as approach these final days of Lent help us to be still in the presence of the mystery of your self-revelation. Help us to pause and wonder. Amen.
David Harold-Barry SJ





No comments:

Post a Comment