Tuesday 4 March 2014

LET YOUR HEARTS BE BROKEN

PRAYER MOMENT


Ash Wednesday 5 March 2014.


LET YOUR HEARTS BE BROKEN


Pause. Be still in the presence of God


Reading: “Let your hearts be broken, not your garments torn.” (Joël 2:12-18)


Reflection. We start our 40 days of Lent today, recalling the 40 years of the Israelites in the desert and Jesus’ 40 days there. Joel’s words point to the sharp edge of Lent; it is not a matter of “tearing garments”, a traditional Jewish sign of shock and repentance, a sign which was public. No, Lent is to be a time of breaking of hearts not of tearing clothes. The tearing of garments is an external act, like giving up sugar or alcohol or moderating our TV watching. These are all good acts of self-denial. But what the prophet is after is our interior change of heart; our allowing God to break into that area of my life I keep under lock and key. It is the area where I keep my attitudes, my prejudices, my hurts, my grudges, my lack of forgiveness and all the rest. I have made my home there and I don’t want anyone disturbing it. But Jesus comes and gently knocks on my door. What do I do then?


Prayer. Lord, thank you for this special time of Lent: a joyful time when we can pay attention to your “go go go”, your gentle knock on the door of my heart. Help me to let you in. Amen.

David Harold-Barry SJ





No comments:

Post a Comment