Tuesday 18 February 2014

LOOKING LIKE TREES

PRAYER MOMENT  


Wednesday 19 February 2014.


LOOKING LIKE TREES


Pause. Be present in Bethsaida with Jesus for five minutes.


Reading. “I can see people; they looklike trees to me but they are walking about.” (Mark 8:22-26)


Reflection. This is the only miracle of Jesus where there were no instant results. It seems clear that the purpose of Mark is to show that the healing was a process. First the blind man sees something indistinct and then he sees everything “plainly.” The only parallel I can think of is John chapter 9 where the man born blind, after he is cured, goes through a process of growing in courage and understanding in witnessing to his new faith. Chapter 8 in Mark is a hinge section where we encounter real faith whereas until then the disciples’ grasp of who Jesus is was unimpressive. It seems to me we need to be patient with ourselves: knowing that we are people of little faith but we can also be people longing to grow in our faith and deepening that encounter with God that Pope Francis so much wants us to have.  


Prayer. Lord, I know my life is a process of growth and you are working in and with me. Teach me to have that longing to know you better and love you more so that I may be your witness to your people. Amen.

David Harold-Barry SJ





No comments:

Post a Comment